Pages

About me and this Blog

I am a 12th grade student and this Blog was created in my English class in the International School of SHAPE; German Section. This is a place where I will post my tasks and thoughts around Brave New World and our world today. I would appreciate if you would comment my writings. But first of all you have to read them so I do not want to keep you away from it: Have Fun, or whatever you might feel whilst reading ;)

Would you prefer stability (like in BNW) , our world today or Anarchy?

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

History

'History is bunk' - The Director said this in chapter 3, this was a possible reference to what Henry Ford once said:

"History is more or less bunk. It's tradition. We don't want tradition. We want to live in the present, and the only history that is worth a tinker's damn is the history that we make today." (Chicago Tribune, 1916).

The more I come to read about Ford it gets very clear why Huxley gave him such an important role in his novel.
This one of his famous phrases tells exactly which meaning history has in BNW: It has None!



But why do we nowadays think of history as an important concern and why am I teached history if even one of the most successfull persons in economic history says it is not worth it?

Maybe it has something to do with him being american and not knowing what history actually means ;)

To be serious, I think that if you deny history you deny everybody else than yourself right in this moment.
Before you there were people who lived and died just as you will. It is right that you should not bother too much about history if you want to live your own life, but you have to savour it for everything that happened before now is the basis of the term 'now'. And again, to me the fear to leave this world leaving nothing makes me furious and how can I not recognize the past when I want to be remembered myself! It just does not work!



______________________________________
'So long as there are men, there will be wars.'
-Albert Einstein

1 comment: